The Southern California Dog Obedience Council had its beginning in 1950. It was organized With six Charter Member Clubs, which included the “Canine College” now known as S.WOC., Long Beach German Shepherd Club, Orange Empire All Breed Club, Pasanita Obedience Club and Southeast Obedience Club.
Council is not a club, but a Service Organization with membership consisting of clubs whose purpose is either wholly or in part dedicated to the Obedience Training and Advancement of Dogs.
Zella Nicolas, a Pasanita member, first suggested forming an association of obedience clubs. Pasanita members thought it was a good idea and called the first meeting of what is now the Southern California Dog Obedience Council.
Organized: June 12, 1950
Named: Southern California Obedience Council Changed to Southern California Dog Obedience Council in May 196l.
- Canine College Club (Later Became Southwest Obedience Club Of L.A.)
- Beach German Shepherd Club
- Orange Empire All Breed Club
- Pasanita Obedience Club
- South East Obedience Club
- Whittier Obedience Club
Five Of The Six Charter Member Clubs Are Still Members Of the Council (Whittier Obedience Club Is The Only Exception.)
Council Objectives Set Forth June 12, 1950
- To promote interest in obedience training and friendly relationships between any and/or all organizations interested in obedience work.
- To coordinate efforts towards the improvement of obedience.
- To encourage participation in obedience trials.
- To strive toward the standardization of judging at obedience trials
- To assist in any way possible any show-giving club in putting on obedience trials at the various shows.
Original Constitution & By-Laws
Chairman: Nicolas Kay
Accepted by Council on November 20, 1950
Chairman: Gene Shultz
Adopted by Council on April 15, 1955
President & Secretaries Dinner
First held in July 1956
First started in August, 1956
Contained only names of persons available to judge, clerk or steward
Top Dog Exhibition
Sponsored by Council since 1958.
Prior to that time, it was an event of the Southwest Obedience Club
Sponsored by Council since 1954
Prior to that time it was an event of the Pasanita Obedience Club
First edition was mailed in February 1962